Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Faithfulness...

Real quick post. I just want to tell of how awesome God is. I can't share the details of the story, but basically I was studying down in Koerner Library on Saturday night and around 8:45-9pm, I felt the urge to pray for a friend of mine. Didn't know why just felt like I needed to pray and but I just did anyway. 

I prayed general things for this friend that were based on my own knowledge of them. Within a few minutes, Ephesians 1:3-10 popped into my head. It's not even a scripture that I read a lot or anything, but felt drawn to it. So, I began drafting an email because it seemed obvious to me that God was saying something here.

As I prayed through Ephesians, I had a few meditations and specific things that I felt like God wanted to encourage this friend of mine with. They weren't special knowledge things (i.e. things that I didn't already know about this friend or what not), but the timeliness of the words seemed apparent to me. What I mean by "timeliness" is the need that they should be said now. So, I wrote. I wrote about God's "silence" and the fact that we've been blessed with "every spiritual blessing in Christ." I wrote to encourage them to believe that God did speak to them and other things to that effect.

After I was finished writing, I went over the email like four or five times because I was actually doubting myself. Was this me? Was this God? I finally decided that whether it was God or not, they were encouraging words and I just prayed that they would be timely. That my friend would be in a place where those words would be well received and helpful, rather than pithy.

The next day, I found out that they were very well received and that there was a "story" to tell now. Today, I got an email from my friend telling me that they had been with a friend that evening and got into a conversation about God. My friend went home discouraged and feeling as if God was silent and confused about the "silence" of God in their life. I sent the email right about that same time and when they got home, they received it.

Wow! Isn't God cool? I was talking with my roomie Steven Hettler and we joked around about how even in this high-tech society of texting and wireless, blah blah blah, God is still better at networking events of life and ultimately of the heart. Exciting stuff. Not only now are they encouraged because of God's faithfulness to them, but I'm encouraged that I'm not just a dude full of hot air pithy religious things to say :).

No comments: